Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Crazy (with a side of six kids)


This last week we made the big announcement about expecting our sixth child.  It was interesting to watch people as they congratulated us.  Announcing number six is definitely a different story than announcing number one.  Everyone was so kind yet I know that many of you were thinking "they must be crazy" in the back of your minds and honestly I had braced myself for that moment when someone accidentally said it out loud.  You did well my dear friends.  I never heard it (out loud anyway but I did see it on a few of your faces). 
When we went to the doctors office for my first OB visit, even they weren't surprised to see us back.  The Physicians Assistant said "we stopped trying to guess who will be back and who won't, we just never know."  I wasn't told I was elderly or super high risk because of my "advanced maternal age" (39 going on 40).  In fact I was told that my risks were very minimal and that my previous healthy pregnancy less than two years ago was a good indicator of how this one would go.  In their eyes we are having our fourth.  None of the paperwork mentions two adopted children in the mix just three live healthy births.  When I reminded the PA that we also had two adopted children as well she was interested but not shocked.  During the course of my exam she asked where all of our children attended school.  When I told her that we homeschooled all I saw were two big round eyes peering at me over the drape.  "Oh my" she said, "Christa your hands are so FULL!"
I do have my hands FULL but my heart is FULL as well.  We have been so blessed by our unexpected journey.  We tried to hold onto control for so long and we finally just let go and said God it's yours, just let us know in your time what is next.  I am a control freak..do you know how hard that was for me?    But when we did, God blessed us over and over.  Not only with children but with financial stability that we still cannot explain and with a strong mostly happy marriage.  I say mostly because neither of us are perfect and neither is our marriage.

So here's the answers to some of your questions...
Was this planned?  The answer is yes...by God.  We obviously did not prevent it but with my past history of infertility we did not know the outcome.  A few months ago I met another foster mother about my age through craigslist (she was selling a double stroller). She introduced me to her oh so sweet, adorable, three month old foster son and I fell in love. I contacted our social worker and said that I was fairly certain that we would be back shortly, but that was my plan, not God's.
What do the other children think?  They are excited.  They adore our other little ones and are thrilled to welcome another child to "the club."  Actually, on adoption day when our Yukon broke down we ended up driving a fifteen passenger van to wichita for the day.  The kids were convinced that we "needed one of these so that we could have lots more kids."  They know that our love grows with each child and there is very little jealousy.
How are you going to homeschool with another little one?  Believe me there are many moms out there that do it.  I am not going to say that my confidence doesn't waiver but we will figure out how to make it work.  Daddy may be helping us catch up in the evening and we will homeschool all summer until the baby comes and take our break in August.  I have found that all of the kids have quickly gotten ahead on their studies and skills so we can afford a break and maybe a short while of disorganization until we get it figured out.
Do you have room for all those kids?  I guess that depends on how much room you think we all need.  My grandparents raised six children in our home and we have since added on a full basement with an additional family room, bathroom and bedroom (that we use as a family closet instead of a bedroom).  Luckily our bedrooms are large and bunk beds make them even roomier.  We actually have room for a few more hee hee!  Our Yukon has bucket seats in the middle row so it seats seven but we found out that a bench seat will fit by switching out a few bolts so that is our plan for now.
Are you CRAZY?  Yes, maybe a tad bit but we are ok with that (and so are our six kids).

No comments:

Post a Comment