Tuesday, June 25, 2013

So Much to Get Done But Something Wasn't Right

Just when I was getting all organized, my freezer was filling up and nesting went into a full swing house cleaning fury...I hit this huge brick wall.  In my last post about camping I eluded to the fact that maybe it was time to slow down but I wasn't ready to stop.  The last few weeks have been a struggle to get anything accomplished.  I could barely get moving in the mornings, normally my most productive time of day, and had to relax after only a few small tasks.  By afternoon I was falling into bed for nap time along with my toddlers and then just getting supper on the table was enough to finish off my day.  Another rest time was sometimes necessary by the time supper was over and Monte would graciously offer to clean up supper and watch the kids while I would relax for a bit in our room to regain energy.  I am turning forty...am I just to old for this pregnancy thing?  My back and body were aching all the time but isn't that just normal for pregnancy?  Then there were days with lots of contractions and back pain that would not subside.  I didn't want to go anywhere or do anything.  Monte was panicking...he goes stir crazy staying home and has never been one to relax.  This last weekend after lots of contractions, back pain, and other minor issues I finally called the doctor on call...something just wasn't right.  She came to the conclusion that I probably had an infection and prescribed antibiotics.  Within 24 hours this returned to a more normal pregnancy for me.  I am able to stay awake during the day and accomplish lots in my normal productive morning hours.  I am so thankful and feel like I can return to being more intentional about parenting and life instead of barely functioning with a foggy head.  So now I am getting back to work, making baby preparations with only five weeks left to go.

My freezer is getting VERY full of casseroles and that makes me happy.  When I am feeling like I have not accomplished anything I just open it up and feel a sense of pride and accomplishment (bonus I also get cooled down).  I know, I know it seems weird but there is something about keeping my family fed that makes me feel like a good mom. The deep zone cleaning is going lots slower than I would like but if anything ends up at the bottom of my list it is deep cleaning projects because these are my least favorite.  I have been stuck working on clothes sorting and cleaning in our family closet room for about three weeks longer than I should but I am slowly making progress.

Something that I have felt a real urgency to work on with all of my kids but especially my toddlers is boundaries.  How am I going to manage a nursing infant on top of two active toddlers and keep everyone happy and safe?  Monte and I have been implementing some new things to make life easier.  We have a great small, fenced in, toddler friendly play space in our back yard complete with a comfy swing for mom but when we go out front to ride trikes or do sidewalk chalk the boundaries are less clear and we used to spend lots of time chasing our toddlers away from our busy street and out of the front yard.  They were hard to contain.  I found a yellow and orange long ski rope that I now lay out on the ground to give them a visual line that they are not to cross (notice in the picture how close Gracen is).  It has really cut down on the amount of time we spent chasing them or hollering to come back.  They still have their moments where they step over and look back with that mischievous grin to see what I will do, but usually a friendly reminder does the trick and we are back in business.  The rope something that we can take with us to the lake or other places to help set safe boundaries.  It still takes constant supervision and extreme consistency...they have to know that we will get up every time and come get them if they don't listen, or that they will sit in time out if they do not obey, but once the training stage is over it makes outside time much less of a battle.

We have implemented something similar in the house called blanket time.  The original idea came from Michelle Dugger's book," A Love That Multiplies."    Each child has their own blanket and activities and is expected to stay on their blanket until time is up (again notice Gracen who likes to live on the edge).  This works exceptionally well for us during those times when we need a few moments to finish up a task with no little ones underfoot or getting into things.  It does not work for long periods of time but is great for 15-20 minute periods and I am hoping that it will work keep them near me and out of trouble while nurse a hungry baby.

If all else fails...it's off to baby jail.  This is a room with toys and comfy recliners for mom and dad along with a T.V.  It is baby proof and gated to contain little people.  We try not to contain them to this room too much during the day but it is sometimes necessary when older kids or mommy are unavailable to keep a close eye on them.  I require very little "alone time" but Mommy is entitled to a shower every day.  As you can see by the picture little ones sometime try to escape...yes he is able to open the dead bolt.  Luckily the screen door has an even higher latch that he has not yet mastered and if he does make it out back he is still fenced in...yikes.  This room has been a lifesaver so many times when we need a moment or need to keep the toddlers contained for a bit.

For the older kids it is about diligence and independence with their daily tasks.  They each have a daily morning and afternoon chore list as well as help clean house each week.  As we look ahead to mom being less able to supervise we are rewarding the big kids for doing a good job with their chores on their own, without lots of adult supervision.  I have found that they need to know that mom will still check chores when they are done and if this step gets skipped they start to get sloppy again.  I constantly have to remind myself that they are still kids and perfection is not realistic.  I am so thankful for all they do.
You know the old saying "when you can't beat em join em."  This is so true.  Sometimes I just need to stop the to do lists and join them...if I can't then they can join me and we all get something done together.  We love to bake together or make cleaning fun, like hosing down the dusty toys in the breezeway and letting everyone get wet in the process.  Sometimes I am required to stop and cuddle and that's what being a mom is all about.  It's not the to do lists that make the memories...its those moments when we cuddle or work or play together that we will all remember.
So as we wait, we prepare with excited anticipation for the new one coming.  He does finally have a name but until one of the kids spills the beans it is our family secret.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment