Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Stop Grumbling and Start Teaching

 

This morning I walked around the house grumbling at my children.  Even my older children were not getting ready for our morning without numerous reminders.  Chores were left undone or partially done and there were trails of clothes and toys scattered about.  These are the times when I forget how much I love being at home with all of them and I start to complain and grumble and raise my voice and become that mean mom that no one wants to be.  I did something that I don't do enough.  No, I didn't put them in jail, although I wanted to, instead I asked God for help.  I settled everyone in to chores and the start of school and I snuck off to my room.  I opened up my Bible, which I also don't do enough, and I read Proverbs 1-2 and this is what I found:

"My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom
and applying your heart to understanding
 indeed, if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding,
and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure,
then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God.
For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.
 He holds success in store for the upright, he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless,
for he guards the course of the just and protects the way of his faithful ones.

Then you will understand what is right and just and fair—every good path.
For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul.
Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you."

Proverbs 2:1-11

God was telling me to listen to His words and cry out for understanding and I would find the knowledge of God.  God said that He will help me to understand what is just and what is fair and give me wisdom and knowledge that will be pleasant and calm by soul.  Yes!!!  That is just what I need.  God whispered "stop grumbling and start teaching...I will give you the wisdom that you need."

I went on to start school.  I decided that it was time to dive in to another character study.  We had finished with our study on obedience but had not started a new one.  Guess what was next... Diligence.  It was about doing things right the first time, finishing what we start, following instructions, concentrating on our tasks and not being lazy (modified from Character First).  Perfect.  Each child was able to come up with ways that we all could be more diligent around our house and we set a goal to memorize Colossians 3:23 "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters."

Last but certainly not least, God hit me over the head with a ton of bricks just to drive the point home.  He sent a blog (The Better Mom) onto my facebook page that talked about grumbling being a sign of being without purpose.  Um somewhere along the way I forgot that I do have a purpose, and not just a small one.  I am raising up my children to be ready to serve God's Kingdom and that my friends is very important work.


No comments:

Post a Comment